Asphalt pavement is utilized in a variety of different applications because of its durability, cost-effectiveness, simplicity of construction, and strength. It is the material of choice for parking lots across the nation because asphalt withstands heavier loads and, when combined with proper asphalt maintenance, lasts for many years. In order to maximize the life of your asphalt parking lot, it is important to develop a pavement management plan involving routine inspections and ongoing preventative maintenance.
Asphalt road surfaces offer many benefits, including cost efficiency, reduction in noise pollution and comfort. Using asphalt materials in road construction and maintenance can improve the benefits for all road users and the environment.
The advantages of asphalt simply add up to superior value. Asphalt is safe, smooth and durable. It can be built constructed to last indefinitely. Asphalt is fast to construct and maintain and asphalt contractors know how to “get in and get out” of construction zones. Asphalt is the green pavement: It is up to 100% reusable resp. recyclable. Furthermore its flexibility and new technologies are making asphalt the only sustainable pavement choice.
Often referred to as recycled asphalt pavement (RAP), recycled asphalt is simply old asphalt that is then ground into an aggregate size. When it’s compacted, the material is able to harden and bind together. This makes it a great pick for use on driveways.
For best results, the material should be professionally spread after properly grading and excavating the driveway. Once the material has been uniformly applied, it’s best to wet the RAP down and compact it with a roller. The result is an attractive, sturdy and budget-friendly residential drive.
Many homeowners have fallen in love with their recycled asphalt driveways. Here are some of the many benefits that the material has to offer:
- Affordable – One major advantage of using RAP for driveway construction is that it’s very low cost. Recycled asphalt requires far fewer raw resources than virgin asphalt. Considering the fact that asphalt contains a high volume of oil and that oil prices are volatile, this can make a huge difference. It’s production also requires less labor and fewer man hours, further reducing expenses to customers like yourself.
- Environmentally Responsible – These days, all of us are trying to do our part to reduce, reuse and recycle. Asphalt is not a biodegradable material, and any waste that is thrown into landfills will remain there, taking up space forever. In addition, non-renewable resources must be used to generate virgin asphalt. It’s much more environmentally responsible to choose a material that minimizes waste by re-purposing old asphalt.
- Excellent Bonding Qualities – Asphalt that has been recycled still has some tar in it. This means that, unlike other loose-fill driveway materials, recycled asphalt aggregate will bond together when wetted and compacted, allowing for a semipermanent driveway that remains in place and minimizes dust and dirt.
- Percolation – The composition of an RAP driveway allows it to hold up well in rain and snow. It percolates well, preventing pooling and flooding on the driveway.
- Appearance – In addition to being affordable and durable, driveways that are surfaced with RAP can be extremely attractive. They share a look that is a cross between a picturesque gravel surface and an asphalt surface. This unique appearance is appealing to homeowners who are looking to stand out from the other houses on the block.
Sealcoating is one of the most important elements of a pavement management plan. A sealcoat consists of either coal tar pitch or asphalt cement mixed with inert fillers, water, emulsifying agents, or additives. Applied in thin coats, pavement sealing is used to protect off-highway pavement surfaces against gasoline, oil, salt, water, and ultraviolet rays.
LOOKS LIKE NEW
When covered with a dark black sealant, pavement looks and wears like new. Parking lot sealcoating helps to project a positive image of the company, facility, or residential complex.
SLOWS OXIDATION AND WATER PENETRATION
Sealcoating fills surface voids, which reduces exposure to oxygen and UV rays and reduces the depth to which oil or gas can penetrate the pavement.
Sealcoating acts as a waterproofing agent, minimizing the rate at which water enters pavement. Without it, water can permeate more freely resulting in freeze/thaw expansion and contraction of the pavement.
SEALCOATING RESISTS OIL AND GAS SPILLS
Gasoline dripping from a topped-off fuel tank during hot weather can soften and break down unsealed asphalt pavements. Coal tars used in sealcoat are impervious to gas and oil spills.
ASPHALT SEALCOATING IS EASIER TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN
Sealcoats fill surface voids while coating the pavement surface. The resulting smooth and even texture makes the surface easier to maintain year-round. For example, snow is easier to remove from a smooth surface, and sweeping is far more effective on a smooth surface.
SEALCOATING INCREASES PAVEMENT FLEXIBILITY
Sealcoat brings a dark black color to the pavement. The blacker it is, the more heat a pavement draws from the sun. And, the hotter it gets, the more pliable it becomes, which helps it to withstand traffic without cracking.
PROTECTS ASPHALT FROM PRESSURE WASHING
Restaurant parking lots often extend to areas near dumpsters, where food-processing machines are pressure washed. Food waste near the dumpsters may also need to be washed away if it can’t be swept away. Sealcoating protects asphalt cement from the high-volume water pressure and detergents used in pressure washing.
ASPHALT SEALCOATING IS COST EFFECTIVE
The price of asphalt will always be affected by crude oil prices, which fluctuate when supplies vary. Sealcoating preserves asphalt for pennies per square foot.
SNOW PLOWING AND REMOVAL
DT Asphalt can manage your property all winter long with our trustworthy crew and affordable plans. Each time a storm hits, our team will be at your property making sure we get rid of the hassle that the snow brings. Too much snow on your property? Allow us to remove snow and clean your place up.